Tuesday, 21 March 2017

Could you? Could I?


Martin McGuinness..1959-2017

So much talk about the death of this man, some downright damning.. The bombing of the hotel where the then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and the conservative party were staying, in 1984, 5 were people killed and  several injured, Margaret Tibbit permanently crippled.   But it got me thinking would I be able to forgive someone who I believe had taken the life of someone I loved, especially a child?

A bomb was left in a metal bin in a Liverpool shopping precinct 23rd March 1993. Three-year-old Johnathan Ball died at the scene. He had been in town with his babysitter, shopping for a Mother's Day card.  The second victim, 12-year-old Tim Parry, was gravely wounded. He died on 25 March 1993 when doctors switched off his life support machine, having asked permission to do so from his family, after tests had found minimal brain activity.. 54 other people were injured, four of them seriously. Suddenly metal bins vanished from railway stations and shopping precincts!
But the one that really stands out in my mind was the bombing in Enniskillen on Remembrance Sunday 1987. Her last words to her father were, ‘Daddy I love you.’ Marie was killed by the Provisional IRA at the Cenotaph that day. Along with a further 10 people, 63 people were injured and a 12th person died in 2000, after spending 13 years in a coma.

Gordon Wilson, Marie’s father went on to write a book, saying he forgave the IRA.. BUT…

Could you? Could I ?

XX
I stand corrected by Scarlet, it was not Liverpool in 1993, but Warrington, Thank you Scarlet.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think any of us would know until we were placed in that position. Perhaps those who do forgive do so because bitterness and hatred have the ability to destroy more than just the life of the victim.
    I lived with the threat of the IRA for all of my childhood as my Dad was a soldier and we were constantly aware and alert to danger. I remember being out shopping and my Dad bellowing ' Whose is this bag?' in a shop because someone had left it unattended. I doubt that they ever left a bag unattended again after the dressing down he gave them. Just to let you know that the bombs went off in Bridge Street, Warrington not in a Liverpool precinct and bins were removed from railway stations long before that bombing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The man was pure evil. A friend who served in Ulster, still regrets not shooting McGuinness when he had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I could never forgive.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turned the news off at lunchtime as they went on about him rather too long for my liking. I suppose we all have to hope that people can change for the better.
    Just catching up on your house moving trials and tribulations. So frustrating but hopefully you will be here soon.
    I know the town well but can't work out what road you are going to, next time we visit our youngest and granddaughter I shall search you out!!!

    ReplyDelete