Thursday, 29 June 2017

Only four weeks to go..

I have had my pre-op assessment appointment. It was fine although they panicked me a bit as they got a Dr to listen to my heart as the nurse thought I she could hear a murmur, but all ok. The nurse did my bloods and honestly I didn't even feel the needle going in, there were 5 samples!! I wondered if I had any left.

The main nurse in charge, Veronica was lovely and with all the booklets to read, she had underlined the pre-ops dept number and said phone if I had a question or worry even for the slightest thing. She couldn't believe I had been 26 months with my arm in a sling and started to ask how I  did it, but I said I couldn't talk about it because I have flash backs and I get very weepy.. but she said crying is good for you it relieves a whole lot of stresses.

 One thing I was told to do is to have 5 or 6 deep breaths every hour as my oxygen levels were low. My B/P was 110/65. I have always had low blood pressure.... and ok she added to try to lose some weight.. I was there close on
one and a half hours and I didn't have to wait at all.

The Occupational Therapist called me first and one of the questions she ask was dressing etc and would I have help after the op. I did say I found pulling up knickers difficult when I first did it, so she asked did DH help,  but I said the truth I didn't wear any for 18 months. And all the usual questions, stairs, loo, showers, bed, chairs etc. Could I manage etc. at home.

 It took 4 hours to get to the hospital, door to door and that was with no waiting between trains and  straight onto the under ground,, so it takes quite a while. I was so tired when we got home and went to sleep in my chair. So now I am on my way to have this operation and with it being put back a week, I'll be home for Wimbledon.. great! But I must admit I am bit nervous!

XX


3 comments:

  1. I wish you all the very best for your long-awaited operation - it's understandable that you feel nervous but it sounds as though there's a good support team in place to answer any queries or doubts. Glad to hear that the diet is going well - you are inspiring me to drastically change my shopping lists (and maybe buy some smaller plates!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always an anxious time waiting for an operation, I hope you're able to keep positive thinking of being pain free and being able to use your arm again. I expect it will take some time to get full movement with physiotherapy etc.
    The four weeks will whizz by then once you get in hospital you're in their care and the time passes quickly. I hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete